Friday, December 10, 2010

“I TORTELLINIED IN MY PANS”


This is just one of the many insane phrases I uttered in the kitchen yesterday. Anyone who says cooking can’t be so much fun you nearly fall on the floor from laughter has never cooked at the Daily Bread Bakery (DBB). 
It all started with a simple dish of Tortellini in Broth, a dish famous in Bologna, Italy and one of my favorite foods I ate all summer. My goal was to recreate this simple dish of little pasta pouches filed with a simple pork filling floating is a soothing broth with floating pools of fat on the surface. After making the filling one day, the pasta the next and finally the broth after that let’s just say that I had tortellini on the brain.
As the day progressed, each member of the DBB Team downed a small portion of the dish. By the time we got to the last portion of tortellini to be served, we were completely goofy from a long day. 


One baker (who will remain nameless) said something that was meant to be slightly intimidating but came out completely ridiculous. In between giggles I managed to get out, “Ohh!! That was so scary. . I tortellinied in my pans.” the laughs that followed were gut wrenching and probably echoed between the buildings outside. 

Sigh. . .I really love food. This is just another bit of proof that both food and cooking are always more than what they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment